To backup a secret you need to choose recovery partners and get their public keys.
Backup a secret
This will split your given secret into a set of encrypted backup pieces linked to your chosen partners and stored on the distributed web.
Public keys of recovery partners
- You need to choose a set of contacts who you trust to be your recovery partners.
- Each of them must have an Ethereum account.
- Each of them must generate a public encryption key and send it to you by visiting → This page.
- A unique identifier for your secret that will be used by your recovery partners to find the share to recover.
- Usually it is best to leave it as your Ethereum address but in some cases you may want to use a different identifier. → Read more
- A secret could be anything. Think about it as sensitive data such as your gpg private key, the password to your encrypted harddrive, or your Ethereum seed phrase.